Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Margherita Pizza

So what do you do when you have extra tomatoes and leftover fresh basil that needs to used up? You make a margherita pizza of course! I had to look up a recipe because I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing but I made some changes. I guess a real margherita doesn't have sauce, but since the sauce is my favorite ingredient, I had to have it!


Ingredients
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
8 Roma tomatoes, sliced
2 (12 inch) pre-baked pizza crusts
8 ounces shredded Mozzarella cheese
4 ounces shredded Fontina cheese
10 fresh basil leaves, washed, dried
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese


Directions
1.Stir together olive oil, garlic, and salt; toss with tomatoes, and allow to stand for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2.Brush each pizza crust with some of the tomato marinade. Sprinkle the pizzas evenly with Mozzarella and Fontina cheeses. Arrange tomatoes overtop, then sprinkle with shredded basil, Parmesan, and feta cheese.
3.Bake in preheated oven until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown, about 10 minutes.



OK, so my pizza was only somewhat similar to this recipe. I made only one. I used a whole wheat crust, one tomato, and added sauce. I mixed together a little olive oil, garlic and kosher salt, brushed it on the crust, then brushed sauce over that. Added leftover shredded mozzerella and "italian blend cheeses" from fridge, added tomato slices, feta and powdered parmesan, and topped with basil. Had to break another rules and add fresh jalapeno slices to Jeremy's side. Yum! We make a lot of pizza around here and this one was pretty good!

1 comment:

  1. Yummmmmy! I think we are now having home made pizza for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete