Monday, September 27, 2010

Tomato Spinach and Basil Soup


Oh yeah! Cooler weather inspires the beginning of comfort food season for me!

Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/2 cups milk
1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 cups fresh spinach, torn
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
1.Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Stir in milk and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato puree and sugar. Mix well, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Add spinach, basil, salt and pepper and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, if desired.

I would recommend chopping the onion up in the blender for sure. Other people had trouble with milk curdling and suggested waiting until the very last to add it, but mine did not curdle. I added a half can of diced tomatoes because I like a chunky tomato soup. :) This was really good but I still love Amy's Organic Soups "Chunky Tomato Bisque" out of all I've ever tried! It just has that extra kick to it that I can't identify.

1 comment: