Monday, February 15, 2010

Spinach and Leek White Bean Soup

I was feeling a little experimental and wanted to try something different! I had never used leeks before, so it was a little interesting. I had to talk to my aunt to actually find out what one does with a leek . :) It was actually pretty quick and simple to make.

Ingredients
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 leeks, bulb only, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 (16 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
2 (16 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 cup whole wheat couscous
2 cups packed fresh spinach
Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1.Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat. Add the leeks and garlic; saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, cannellini beans, bay leaves and cumin. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, and stir in the couscous. Cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in spinach and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

Here's the report: I used 3 leek bulbs instead of 4 because that was how many came in a bundle and it was plenty o' leek. I used low-sodium chicken broth instead of fat-free. I suggest topping with parmesan cheese for a little extra flavor. Very healthy and Jeremy and Noah enjoyed it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment